Welcome to my ARC Team!
I'm super excited to have you!
Some people who join my ARC team are experienced reviewers and know how it all works, others are brand new and have never been on an ARC team before – whichever camp you fall into, WELCOME and I'm so honored you chose to join MY team! So for the newbies (actually for all of you) I thought I'd drop some guidelines on what my expectations are, how I run things and how to write effective reviews. You are welcome to bookmark this page and come back to it whenever you need to. If you've been reviewing for a while, have a read anyway, it can't hurt, right? Warning: this will be long (sorry).
For those of you on Facebook, I’ve created a private Facebook Group for my ARC Team. There’s no obligation to be in the group, all of the ARCs and updates will be sent out via email, but the group is just for fun, chit chat, games, special announcements, etc. Here's the link to join: Misty Bane's ARC Team
How it works...
When I have an ARC ready to go, I'll email you with a download link. This is managed via Bookfunnel and will be available for a limited time - I usually leave it open until the book goes live. (Bookfunnel allows you to download the book in whatever format suits your device.) Then the fun begins - you read the book and then leave a review.
An ARC is an Advanced Reader Copy. Please don't share it around, and please, for all that's holy, do not put it on a pirate site. Be aware that Bookfunnel will watermark your ARC with your email address.
If you don't like reading Paranormal Cozy Mysteries then my books probably aren't for you and you might like to remove yourself from the team (no hard feelings, I promise).
There will be a cut-off date to download each ARC. After that, it's gone, finished. My goal is to give you ample time to read the book before its release date, so you can expect to receive ARC copies at least 2-3 weeks in advance.
You are asked to leave a review once the book is published - and you will need to keep the link to your review if you wish to review for me in the future. You don't have to say a lot BUT a review is part of being on this team and I do keep track. The sooner you leave your review, the better, but I do ask that you leave it no later than 7 days after it's released.
I send out an email when the book is live with the retail links for you to leave a review.
If you notice any typo's or errors, PLEASE let me know! I promise it will be very much appreciated. My editor and I do try and catch everything but we are human and things can slip past.
And finally, no spoilers! You don't need to write a synopsis of the book in the review, just what you liked about it. Or didn't. Although I really do hope you like it!
While reviewing on Goodreads or Bookbub is fantastic and most welcome, it's not a retail store (readers don't buy books there), so I do ask that you also review on an Amazon if possible.
Onto the nuts and bolts of reviewing...
So I'm going to do my best to explain what a review is - and isn't.
* It's not a book summary or synopsis of the book.
* Make sure you understand the rating system (more on this below)
* Don't use the rating system negatively (i.e. 1 star) for technical glitches.
* Don't one star a book and then say you haven't read it. If you haven't read it, please don't give it a rating or review. Simple.
If you hover over each star you'll see that it translates as:
one star *I hate it*
two stars *I don't like it*
three stars *it's okay*
four stars *I like it*
five stars *I love it*
So what should you say in the review itself?
I’ve already said you don't need to give a synopsis of the story, but what do you say instead? Here are some general ideas to help you out.
First rule: no spoilers!
Give a short summary of who would like the book (people who love paranormal cozy mysteries, etc)
What did you like about the book? Why?
What didn’t you like? (How could it have been better?)
Would you read more of the author’s work?
Did you struggle to put the book down? If so, why? What made you want more?
Did the book have action, romance, suspense etc?
* Remember, your review does NOT have to be paragraphs long. A simple one or two sentences are totally great too.
* And some additional words of wisdom when it comes to leaving reviews (not just for my books but for anyone’s books) is PLEASE don’t be mean or nasty. Remember authors are human and they do put their heart and soul into their writing. Not everyone is going to like the same books as others, and that is what makes readers so unique and not boring. If you didn’t like a book then state why, but please be KIND about it.
* I want you to be honest in your reviews and a negative review will NOT get you removed from my ARC Team. Failing to review consistently, however, will.
* If you are not active in reviewing, you may be removed from the ARC Team to open the spot up for others. In the event that something happens in your life (trust me, I know life events come up) and you are unable to review but want to remain on my team, please just reach out to me. I'll be happy to keep your spot open :)
And, finally, always feel free to reach out to me with questions, thoughts, or just to say hello. I answer every email personally. You can find me in the Facebook Group or through email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you again for choosing to join my ARC Team! I am so excited to have you!